We veered off our normal routine of staying in Airbnb’s these past few days. I am so glad we did, taking a chance on a little resort I read about in Lonely Planet, and finding an oasis in Puri Lumbung Cottages.
I could spend a month here.
We are high (800 meters or 2500 feet) in the Bali mountains north and west of Ubud. We had a wonderful (but steep and winding) drive from
Ubud to Munduk and saw many beautiful views in lush green terraced rice fields, lakes, volcanoes and temples.
The weather here is cool and comfortable. Mornings are sunny and afternoons usually bring a
This hotel has been a wonderful experience. We have a spectacular view overlooking the valley with the Java Sea (Pacific Ocean) in the distance about 7 miles away. I love sitting on our balcony and watching the changing colors and cloud formations throughout the day – fabulous.
Finding an oasis at the Puri Lumbung cottages was our lucky break. With our friends John and Carole we paid $650 USD and here is what we got;
- 2 beautiful cottages with bedroom, bath and balcony set in the rice fields overlooking the valley. The cottages are historic rice barns
that have been converted into cottages. The price included three nights.
- Breakfast served in the restaurant each morning. Sometimes a buffet and sometimes ala carte, we enjoyed American style as well as Indonesian and Balinese style breakfast.
- Guided trek to the local waterfall. We enjoyed this on our first morning and it was a tough
and steep three mile hike. Very invigorating and boy did we work up a sweat.
- Massage in the spa. Our price included one massage for each of us, but since Arne doesn’t like massages I got two! Boy did that feel good after the hike!
- Afternoon tea served on our balcony each
day at three o’clock.
- Guided trip to the local market followed by a cooking class for the four of us. Here we learned to make a feast of local dishes using local ingredients. We then ate everything we
cooked and were so stuffed we didnt even need dinner.
All of this included in the price. Dinner was not included, but we ate dinner in the restaurant only one night and only spent $25 including drinks.
So finding an oasis in Puri Lumbung cottages has been a special treat. The staff is so friendly.
Always smiling and happy. The hotel was started back in the 1940’s as a way to give the local people jobs. Still today the friendly locals from the tiny village of Munduk work here. Everyone from the receptionist to our trek guides. The gardeners keep the grounds pristine. The chef creates delicious food. The housekeepers are excellent. The massage therapist amazing. We have no complaints.
Oh and the view. Bonus.
Our Bali experience has been wonderful overall, but we will always remember our special time at the hidden Puri Lumbung (translation Rice Palace) where we relaxed and found some of the Bali of old – a bit lost in time where hospitality is king. It was our lucky day finding an oasis in Puri
Matur Suksma (thank you very much)!