We hit the ground running (as usual) when we arrived in Washington State on May 9th. Back in the USA for a four month visit with our family and friends before heading off again for another year of travel.
In addition to spending time with our aging parents and our adult children, we set out to tackle a remodel of the “villa” (condo) we bought last fall sight unseen. Four months seemed like it would be a lot of time to enjoy all the things we wanted to do and get the remodel done. Not so much. Wow, time moves faster than it used to.
Our goal was to get the remodel done by July 1st. We worked tirelessly for weeks, eating dust and sleeping on the floor as we tore into the dated condo to make it more modern and to fit our personal style.
We just missed the mark of July 1st. We officially wrapped up the project on July 2nd…with a tiny hand full of tweaks left to do here and there over the next two months.
Here is what we did in just under an 8-week period;
- Removed a wall and moved the wiring
- Painted the kitchen cabinets, utility cabinets and guest bath cabinets
- Removed wallpaper from guest bath
- Added cabinet hardware
- Painted the entire interior
- New washer, dryer, refrigerator, range, microwave and dishwasher
- Brought gas into the kitchen
- New luxury vinyl wood look floors throughout the house
- New floor trim
- Painted all the trim and doors
- Replaced all the interior and exterior door hardware
- Updated the fireplace with new surround and hearth
- New kitchen counters
- New kitchen backsplash
- Replaced five light fixtures inside and three outside
- Unpacked dozens of boxes
- Got new-to-us and brand-new furniture
- Painted new-to-us furniture
- New curtains
- Organized the garage and attic
- Removed outdoor dead plants and replaced with new
- Kicked back and had a gin and tonic
We left one project for next summer – a full master bathroom remodel. That will be a big undertaking for when we return to the USA again next June.
We were assisted in this project by Gordy Lund, my brother-in-law, who always does such nice work, Valona Painting, Precision Countertops, and Affordable Interiors and Flooring.
We were so happy to get it done. And it looks absolutely beautiful. I love the layout of this one-level villa. I love the neighborhood. I love the landscaping. Most of all I love how peaceful it is. We have beautiful wooded trails; flat, safe running and cycling; and a golf course to boot. Guess I’m gonna have to take up golf next summer!
So from July 3rd through the rest of the summer we will be entertaining family and friends and just enjoying our new home. I am particularly enjoying having all my things around me again, after these being in storage for more than three years. It feels good.
But we still plan to continue to travel. We have a house-sitter in place to care for our home between September and June as we continue on our Grand Adventure. We look forward to coming “home” again next June and staying through Christmas.
I feel really blessed to have the best of both worlds; a beautiful place to call home, and a life of full-time travel. Lucky, fabulous me.
Please pin or share our blog!